Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Goldie's in Nassau, Bahamas...

After doing my homework before vacation, I decided to try authentic Island Food at Goldie's, being that it had the highest ratings and most positive reviews. As we are driving there we pass Twin Brothers, where we ate on our last trip, and the line is out the door.. Good sign, right?
We come upon Goldie's and there's not a soul near the place. We get out, get closer, look around and now I am apprehensive about going further. It looks like a real dump. No one is saying a word, but I know they're thinking, where the heck did she take us to this time?
I get closer to the inside window and say, I am not so sure we should go in here. No one's around, it looks dingy. I venture in and indeed there are a few people inside. The waitress asks if we want a table inside or outside, we decide in cause it was freezing in there. We go out back and there's no table, no chairs, no nothing. Now, we are laughing, out of confusion, not funny things.
We come back in and decide to sit in the front of the restaurant where there's 3 tables with mismatched chairs and a fan. I figure my group is gonna kill me.. But brave ones that we are, we open the menus and start ordering. First up, the conch salad, served cold with tomato, celery, garlic, lemon & olive oil. Fantastic..
Next dish, conch soup. Creamy, tasty, thick and delicious.. We are on a roll.. Next we ordered the conch fritters. I don't usually eat fried food but I had to stop myself from eating more of these delicious little balls of dough & conch with a great spicy dipping sauce of probably mayo & ketchup and some other unknown condiments. Don't care, it was great.
The main dishes were Grilled Local Red Snapper which came wrapped in foil with assorted veggies and plantains in the most delicate, delicious, flavorful broth ever.. Okay, so it wasn't really grilled as we know it, but it was absolutely fabulous. Fresh as can be. And it was $13 with a side of rice and peas.
We had the pork chop stir fry which was again, fantastically prepared and perfectly cooked. The grilled shrimp was cooked, again, in foil with assorted veggies & plantains, same delicious broth. And I had to try the Mac N Cheese, cause the Island people, to me, make it the best. True to form, I loved it. The others in my group weren't crazy about it, but I did enjoy it. The sides, rice n peas, cole slaw, potato salad, all homemade and amazing.
So, the moral of the story is, this was a great, great restaurant and i am glad we weren't too scared away by the looks of it on the outside, cause we truly would  have missed a fantastic meal. Oh, yeah, as the saying goes, "don't judge a book by its cover."  


1 comment:

  1. Goldie's is a pretty good choice among the many scattered nooks of "Fish Fry". Happy that you enjoyed it! The next time you find yourself in Nassau, check out one of
    our Bahamas Food Adventures Food Tours.......
    Happy Eating!!!!

    ReplyDelete